Monday, June 10, 2013

Changes in Transfers

Last week was probably the craziest week of my mission.  We will with last, last Friday (May 31).  The AP's sent us a text saying that the transfer sheet was in our email and that we could go and look at it and print it off.  That was weird because they always send transfer announcements on Monday night.  We went to the computer shop to look at the transfer sheet, that is when we got the news.  We are no longer having a transfer meeting, where everyone gathers at a chapel and then finds out where they are going and who their companion is.  We are now doing transfer day like most other missions in the world and probably like Dad did transfers.  The way transfers are now is each zone sets up a transfer point. All those who are transferring and their companions go to the transfer point.  Once there the one transferring is sent on his way by himself to the other zones transfer point.  It was really different than anything we were use to.  So all of Saturday and Sunday we were coordinating with all the other zone leaders on how to get our transferring missionaries there simply and quickly.  That was Friday through Sunday, stress.

Monday (June 3), we were suppose to move because sister missionaries were coming in.  I woke up at 4:00 am to pack up my stuff to move and to transfer.  With the new way of transferring I had to make sure that every thing fit into two suitcases so it would be easy to transfer by myself.  We had District Meeting at 8:00 am, we had to explain the new way of transferring and let everyone know where they were going, who their companion was going to be and what their assignment was (zone leader, district leader, etc.).  That was done by 12:00 pm.  We went home and finish packing and cleaned a little bit.  Then the Apartment Elders called us and told us that we would not be moving today because they did not have the money for the apartment.  We went out to work, but mostly just said good-bye because I knew I was transferring and it was like 5:00 pm when then called and we had a dinner appointment at 7:00 pm.  That was Monday, stress.

Tuesday (June 4), we played basketball with some ward member at 6:00 am.  Just for a last hurrah.  Then we moved.  We started moving at 9:00 am.  Now moving new stuff into a new apartment super easy and kind of fun.  That took maybe an hour to an hour and a half.  Then we had the tough part, moving all the old stuff to the new apartment.  That is a beast and a half.  We had to take the bed apart, had to decide what was worth moving and what was not.  That took us until about 1:00 or 1:30 pm.  Then we had to go and get the other elders suitcases from their apartment because sisters were going to live in their apartment.  Now it usually takes about 20 minutes to get to there house, well there was traffic.  Philippines traffic is bad.  We got the other elders suitcases back to our new apartment at 5:00 pm.  We hadn't emailed.  The other elders hadn't showered yet.  And we had a Family Home Evening with our recent converts and investigators at 6:00 pm.  It also takes about a half an hour to get to our recent converts house.  We emailed for like 15 minutes.  The other elders showered and we flew up to our recent converts house.  We got to the house at 7:30 pm, but there was no male 18 years old or older so we couldn't go into the house.  Finally we got someone at around 8:00 pm, had a good FHE.  We got home  at 9:30 pm.  we spent the next couple of hours putting stuff away and repacking so that everything would be ready for transfers.  We went to bed at 11:00 pm.  That was Tuesday, stress.

Wednesday (June 5), transfer day.  We woke up at 5:00 am to make sure all was well.  We got to our transfer point at about 7:30 am and we started sending elders on their way.  My ride wasn't going to come until 9:00 am.  I just hung around and helped everyone else get on their way.  My ride showed up and we jumped in and whisked off to our new area.  I got to my new area with my new companion at 10:00 am.  We planned and ate then went out to work.  After that I just went back to normal missionary work, not as stressful.

My new companion is Elder Ehlert (Elert).  He is from Minnesota. He just go done with training.  He is really nice.  It is weird to look back and think that I was once like him.  Tagalog is still hard, leading the area for the first time.  Not really knowing all the rules or how do some missionary stuff.  But he is doing a lot better than I did when I was that young.

My area is beautiful.  It is in the mountains.  I am going to get skinny here.  We hike everyday.  I am in a Branch again, but the district is very close to becoming a stake.  I hope I am here to see it.  The members are great.

It is really nice not to be zone leader anymore.  I only have to worry about my companion and the area.

The pictures are of the my new area and me and Elder Ehlert.